Our thanks again to Jim Tunney for preparing the spawn for the cultivation night.
If you were at the May cultivation meeting you will have collected a plastic shopping bag containing cottonseed hulls and a ziplock bag. The ziplock bag contained the oyster mushroom spawn. If you have not already started the kits place the bag of spawn in the fridge.
Oyster mushroom preparation
- Put hulls in a large pot (use 2 pots if necessary)
- Add water to cover hulls Bring to a rolling boil
- Drain water off hulls Replace hulls in pot and cool with cover on to room temperature
- Mix spawn & hulls thoroughly
- Put mix in plastic bag
- Incubate bag at room temp and low light for 14 days
- Watch mycelium grow from spawn over the hulls
- Look for white clumps Cut ½ inch holes in plastic over clumps for fruiting
- Mist the bag with water and incubate in a cool place
- Harvest mushrooms when edges are slightly curled or uncurled