By Jim Wasik as offered at 2012 Lincoff Foray
- 1 pound fresh chanterelle mushrooms – or other mushrooms in season
- 5 tablespoons butter (or olive oil)
- Fresh Lemon Juice – squeeze or two
- 2 leeks – cleaned and finely chopped
- 1 Large clove of garlic – peeled and minced
- 1 ½ cup Yukon Gold potatoes -peeled and diced
- 6 ½ cup chicken broth – homemade best or low sodium
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme – finely chopped
- 1 – 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Clean, dry, chop mushrooms.
- Sauté mushrooms on high heat in 2 tablespoons butter or oil. Season with lemon juice, salt and pepper. Allow to release juices, but not brown. Cook only 3 – 4 minutes.
- Remove mushrooms and reserve liquid (it will be used later)
- Heat 3 tablespoons butter or oil in heavy soup pan; add leeks, garlic, potatoes.
- Sauté over medium heat about 10 minutes until leeks have softened but not browned.
- Add mushroom liquid, chicken broth, thyme. Bring to boil and reduce heat to simmer.
- Simmer 15 – 20 minutes until potatoes are soft.
- Add cooked mushrooms.
- Simmer 30 minutes.
- For fine soup, Pour soup through sieve to retain mushrooms and vegetable. Puree vegetables in food processor, immersion blender, regular blender until smooth – add a little soup liquid if needed. Pour back into soup pot with liquid.
- For chunkier soup, don’t puree.
- Add vinegar, salt and pepper to taste.
- For cream soup, add 1 cup heavy cream or sour cream and reheat soup, but do not boil.
If you liked this soup you may also like the Mushroom Bisque Without Roux by Jeff Berkowitz.